Looking for a good USB to Serial (RS232) Converter

What microsoft did was enforce strict driver signature enforcement. Under 7 you could 'continue anyway' even when the driver didn't have a microsoft blessed signature. The first version or so of Windows 10 allowed them too.

Then with later Win10 and the prevalence of Secure Boot (in BIOS/UEFI) they removed 'continue anyway' and break really old drivers.

Sometimes you can use the methods of Disable Driver Signature Enforcement you find on the web. I've never had it work well enough that drivers used in that manner survive a reboot. But in a pinch the Disable methods will get a device to work when acquiring a replacement (with a up-to-date driver) isn't a easy option.

FTDI are a go-to UART manufacturer. I've had reasonable luck with silabs UARTs too. Prolific can be a toss-up, they've abandoned some older PL2303 UART chips and have no signed drivers for them.

My go-to for years has been the Keyspan unit. I haven't found anything it won't connect to (unlike the overpriced AB one...sigh...). I haven't tried the one from plccable.com, but I have tried several other of their cables with great success. I wouldn't feel bad about buying one of theirs if my Keyspan ever dies (it's about 12 years old at this point and still going strong).

I agree with anything with an FTDI chip. Omron PLCs were often a problem with converters and FTDI always worked.You can also get the latest drivers from their website.
They do make converters as I have a couple that I use but they area developmental converter with bare wire ends.
I use them for other things - bought them from RS.

Thank you all for the kind words!

Yes ours works with all platforms including W11 and it has a lifetime replacement, I like the FTDI chip set but most of our cables use a CH341/340

The main reason is the CH341 is plug and play on most builds of W10

I am working on a USB-C/rs232 for the newer laptops and we are going to start making more serial cables to connect to them.

Thanks again 🍻
Mark

Thank you all for the kind words!

Yes ours works with all platforms including W11 and it has a lifetime replacement, I like the FTDI chip set but most of our cables use a CH341/340

The main reason is the CH341 is plug and play on most builds of W10

I am working on a USB-C/rs232 for the newer laptops and we are going to start making more serial cables to connect to them.

Thanks again 🍻
Mark

Well, well, let's not give yourself a pat on the back yet and no 🍻 yet . Especially , you are now self-confessing the chip being used.

To those who professed love to Mark, please tell me what devices that you have used it on.

Well, well, let's not give yourself a pat on the back yet and no 🍻 yet . Especially , you are now self-confessing the chip being used.

To those who professed love to Mark, please tell me what devices that you have used it on.

So I take it you have an issue with the CH340?

I have sold more 'PLC' USB cables than anyone else so yes I do have an idea of what I am talking about.

I have been selling them since 2004, I offer a lifetime guarantee, we use several different chip sets but when it comes to Allen Bradley processors the CH340 is the best by far as it just works... guessing, I have more than 50k USB cables on the market.

'Love' is a little much but I do try and make my customers happy by providing a good product

Micrologix 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, 1400
Panelview Standard
Red Lion Kadet, G3, CR1000
Cal Amp Integra H, Integra TR
Maxon Radio Modems
Friendcom Radio Modems
Badger Flowmeters
Click PLC
Productivity PLC
DoMore PLC
GE MDS radio modems (multiple families)

There are more I am not thinking of right now.

The only device that gave me problems was a Data Linc PLR 6400 series and it didn't work with my Keyspan USAH19S either. I had an old crusty $9 Prolific adapter that was the only adapter that I could get to talk to that oddball.

I've connected to some of the same stuff that OkiePC has, along with

AB stuff:
Varioius PLC 5
SLC 5/03, 5/04, 5/05
Comapctlogix L32E, L36ERM
Controllogix L5X, L6X

Non-AB stuff:
Columbia Marking Tools dot-peen marker, Edmunds CAG gaging, Okuma lathes, a scale in shipping & receiving, an X-Ray machine in our diecast dept, and a coworker borrowed it for something in wastewater while I was on vacation.

If Mark's cables sucked, I would take my business (and recommendation) elsewhere because ultimately I need something that works for me.

Last edited:
The PLCcable.com Adapter first

the Tripplite USA19hs second (Because it has a built in tool/software to snoop the comms coming through... very useful!!!)

third the 9300-USBS one from AB, just because its always been a solid never fail for me over the years.

As for how much we love PLCcable.... here's a story.

Not too long ago, I had the privilege... Nay... The Pleasure... of working on an old S7-200 that had issues. I grabbed an adapter off the shelf that had been sitting in this office a long time and tried to use it.

didn't work... So i checked the website for PLCcable and found drivers, used the one I thought it needed and it still didn't work. So I did what no one ever does... I Called the number on the website for support.

I didn't get endless ringing, I didn't get an operator, or a voicemail line. I got my called answered in just a few seconds, and my questioned answered shortly too after he found the order number for this old adapter from my company.

Right driver installed, and it was working no problem.

Don't we all want good support when it comes to products?

@OkiePC. Thank you for your honest feedback. “The only device that gave me problems was a Data Linc PLR 6400 series and it didn't work with my Keyspan USAH19S either.”

@Duranthas. Your list is good, I just wish for a little more feedback on PLC2 and the Cognex Dataman series.