Creating a SCADA system

+1 for Ignition. The software if fairly simple to learn, It will communicate with almost anything, There are a lot of useful features, There's no limit to the number of clients you can connect, And I have been very impressed with their tech support. I would avoid anything with Factory Talk in the title! Haha

I figured the cheapest way would be to make FT VIEW SE application and run it on a PC which can be accessed by VNC. let me know how you all think about this?

That is not the cheapest and in my opinion the best. But, we all have opinions.

You mentioned in your first post that this was viewing in your office. That makes it sound like this isn't a production SCADA/HMI and only needs to run when you want to look at stuff. So, if that is the case use Ignition demo, which is free. When the trial expires, reset it. Since you don't care about logging using the demo is just fine, you won't lose anything. If/when you decide to push this to the plant floor, then you buy the licenses.

Thank you all for your inputs.

I figured the cheapest way would be to make FT VIEW SE application and run it on a PC which can be accessed by VNC. let me know how you all think about this?
I wouldn't, y'll find that very limiting. Do it right or don't bother.

With 50 controllers this is not a small project.
You should weigh functionality, scalability and ease of design an maintenance much higher than the initial cost of purchase.

Btw, you write that you don't need data logging, but as soon as you have a system that has data logging you will find that you want to use it, and pretty soon it will be a critical must-have in your plant.

Last edited: