Move ENBT module from private to controls network

sharmeyer

I have a spare ENBT module on a remote rack at slot 3 that communicates to a privately addressed EN2T module at 192.168.1.2 on the main rack via another EN2T module on the remote rack at 192.168.1.19 at slot 2. Our intent is to readdress this spare so that it communicates with the control network at 10.8.206.21.

Do I change the IP address of the spare module to the desired 10.8.206.21 and download, then change the address in the module configuration in Linx appropriately? Also, I'm not sure where the new module would be indicated in Linx. I am assuming at the same subnet layer as the main PLC and Panelview, which are at 10.8.206.19 and 10.8.206.20 respectively.

Thanks!

I hope I am understanding what you need correctly. There is only one set of module properties/configuration and it resides on the module. It can be modified programmatically by a module configuration setup in the .acd file or it can be modified manually using RS Linx.

The configuration will stay with the module when it's removed from the chassis and stored. I typically carry an enbt or similar in my backpack setup for the subnet of my laptop in case there are any connection difficulties or if the customer doesn't use or have an ethernet module and I wish to use wifi to be mobile when troubleshooting, etc.

Thanks for feedback. If I set it manually in Linx, is the .acd file updated upon saving? Would I go online with the PLC first, make Linx change, then save away .ACD file?

If I set it manually in Linx, is the .acd file updated upon saving?

No.

ControlLogix 1756 series EtherNet/IP modules store their TCP/IP configuration only onboard the module in nonvolatile flash memory. When you change any of those settings (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS address, hostname, etc) using any method, they get saved solely onboard the module.

When I say "any method", I am thinking of three methods:

1. RSLinx Classic: In the RSWho browse, right-click and select [Module Configuration], then select the [Port Configuration] tab.

2. RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000: Double-click a module object in the I/O tree, and navigate to the [Network Configuration] or [Port Configuration] tabs.

3. Custom code in the Logix user program using MSG instructions to configure the TCP/IP Object in the 1756-ENxy module.

The [Module Info] [Internet Protocol], and [Port Configuration] tabs on the 1756-ENBT module profile window in RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 all read the data directly from the module and are blank if you open them offline.

The IP address on the [General Properties] tab is saved with the *.ACD file, but it is NOT applied automatically, or updated if the module configuration is changed. It's basically there for recordkeeping and conflict avoidance and substitution into MSG command paths.

For your application, just use RSLinx via Ethernet or the backplane to reconfigure your spare 1756-ENBT module. When you power cycle it, it will apply those new settings.

A followup: the independent TCP/IP object method that the Logix 5000 family uses to handle address configuration is different from PLC-5E/SLC-500/MicroLogix 1100/1400 and Micro 800 series controllers.

On those controllers, the TCP/IP configuration is part of the user program, and is saved in the user program file.

Thanks for feedback. The third method is particularly interesting and could be useful.

I will attempt via Linx and confirm.