Omron NT31C

Dstew

Hello

I have salvaged a Omron NT31C-ST141-EV2 from a piece of LAB equipment.

I put power to it and the screen lights up with the words "Please wait..."

That is all it will do. Can anyone tell me why it is stuck on this screen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you

It could be trying to connect to the configured PLC.
If you touch 2x opposite corners, you should be able to get to the config setup. In here, you can change settings & modes

Tried touching 2 opposite corners - no change.

Eventually, the screen will go dark (sleep?) and by touching the screen it goes back to showing "Please wait..."

Power light = green

Run light = green

I wonder if there might be a communication problem between the touch screen and the circuit board?

Well, problem solved. I wasn't quick enough to press the corners when it first powers "on". I shut the power off, waited a minute, turned the power back on and pressed the opposite corners right away before the RUN light was "on". We're talking a difference of one second before it was too late. Now I can EXIT the menus and it will go back to "Please wait..." but I can still press the corners and get back into the menus.

Timing is everything :)

Here is a manual, Note section 6 on system menu operation:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/307/v062-e1-05_nt31_31c_setup-1125646.pdf

I don't know much about Omron HMIs, but if I were you I'd try hooking it up to your PC.

I was able to find the programming software by googling "omron NTST download", did not verify the download so you may want to check if there is an old CD in the lab you scavenged it from with NTST written on it.

Here is a programming/connection manual:
https://www.edata.omron.com.au/eData/HMIs/NT/V060-E1-2.pdf

It calls out programming cable Omron C200H-CN229-EU, judging from the pinouts for their custom cables it is not a standard cable (ground is on pin 9 instead of pin 5). You could probably make one yourself with if you're interested. You'll also need a PC with a serial port or a usb to rs232 adapter (I recommend sabrent RS232-FTDI, super affordable). I could give you some tips and products that will help if you need.

Here is a manual, Note section 6 on system menu operation:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/307/v062-e1-05_nt31_31c_setup-1125646.pdf

I don't know much about Omron HMIs, but if I were you I'd try hooking it up to your PC.

I was able to find the programming software by googling "omron NTST download", did not verify the download so you may want to check if there is an old CD in the lab you scavenged it from with NTST written on it.

Here is a programming/connection manual:
https://www.edata.omron.com.au/eData/HMIs/NT/V060-E1-2.pdf

It calls out programming cable Omron C200H-CN229-EU, judging from the pinouts for their custom cables it is not a standard cable (ground is on pin 9 instead of pin 5). You could probably make one yourself with if you're interested. You'll also need a PC with a serial port or a usb to rs232 adapter (I recommend sabrent RS232-FTDI, super affordable). I could give you some tips and products that will help if you need.

Appreciate all of that. Thank-you.

I do have a PDF of the NT31 and NT31C Programmable Terminals Setup Manual Revised October 2010 and NT Series Support Tool for Windows Ver.4._.

As well, I have downloaded and installed the NT Support Tool software. Plus I built a cable using a diagram I found on this forum. It requires a RS232 to USB which I have on hand (StarTech USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Adapter Cable).

Beyond that I added a "break-out" board in the middle of my cable to connect a logic analyzer (cable is roughly 30").

Now that I can get into the system config of the Omron PT I will try to connect to it from my PC.

It's definitely worth a shot considering the Sabrent one is only $10 right now. That said, I've usually been able to at least establish a connection with prolific chipsets so it might be worth trying with what you have first.

Would you mind sharing your cable pinout? From the doc's I saw earlier, it looked like that cable would be directional (need to connect PC to side with ground at pin 5, crossover RX/TX). Just something I would be looking out for if you are having trouble.

Also my appologies, I misremembered the model of that USB<->RS232 adapter. It is a Sabrent CB-FTDI. Startech has an FTDI model as well.

Pinout from PC to Omron PT:

Pin 2-------------------------Pin 2
Pin 3-------------------------Pin 3
Pin 7-------------------------Pin 5
Pin 8-------------------------Pin 4
Pin 5-------------------------Pin 9
Shield wire connected to both hoods

Double checked that information from the manual.

You could try crossover of pins 2 and 3 with your breakout board or a cheap crossover adapter that only crosses over pins 2 and 3. The rest of the pinning looks good from what I can tell.

Are you able to put the PLC into programming mode? It is described in section 6-5 of the setup manual.

Dstew,
Access the system menu.
You should be able to locate a "Control Area" and a "Notify Area" variable.

I am guessing it is "waiting" to get that information from the PLC.

gtsuport

You could try crossover of pins 2 and 3 with your breakout board or a cheap crossover adapter that only crosses over pins 2 and 3. The rest of the pinning looks good from what I can tell.

Are you able to put the PLC into programming mode? It is described in section 6-5 of the setup manual.

Finally got back to this today and coincidentally the Sabrent CB-FTDI cable I ordered arrived. After connecting everything it communicates perfectly. All is good!

Thank-you for the assistance.