What's your favorite obscure tools you have? (Software or Hardware)

Hopefully I'm not repeating myself. We have a couple of these RS485 adapters, which we use to write parameters to PowerFlex 523/525's when we commission them (DSI port). We use python and minimalmodbus.

Basically, we create a text file for each drive with the parameters we want to write, it takes a couple of seconds per drive to write the parameters. With 525's, we just write the IP address, then download the rest of the parameters via LogixDesigner. Way faster than any other method to set the addresses.

sweet. I've used one of those adapters to communicate with electrolab sensors using puTTY. and I was considering Hacking an RJ45 onto the end of it to use with SMC controllers, just haven't tested it yet.

I'd be interested to see what your code looks like, I've only just been introduced to python. I didn't know powerflex used rs485 through the dsi port.

Some years ago i got this type crowbar in my toolbox, now I never go on site without :)
When the electricians are done, I start correcting their impossible sensors

As a skilled electrician and seasoned controls engineer with 38 years of experience I can confidently say that most electricians would be glad to wire things correctly and align sensors correctly IF there is an open line of communication between everyone.

Electricians are not mind readers and drawings must be clear & detailed as well.

Checking the rate of stuffs

Code:
//Sets sample rate
tonr(tSampleRate);
tSampleRate.PRE := 100;

if not tSampleRate.DN then
    tSampleRate.Reset := 0;
    tSampleRate.TimerEnable := 1;
else
    tSampleRate.Reset := 1;
    tSampleRate.TimerEnable := 0;
    rAcceleration[1] := rAcceleration[0];
    rVelocityEMA[1] := rVelocityEMA[0];
    rVelocity[1] := rVelocity[0];
    rPosition[2] := rPosition[1];
    rPosition[1] := rPosition[0];
    rPosition[0] := LocalIOHere;
    rVelocity[0] := (rPosition[1]-rPosition[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
    rAcceleration[0] := (rVelocity[1]-rVelocity[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
    rJerk := (rAcceleration[1]-rAcceleration[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
end_if;

//Filter
rAlpha := 1;

rVelocityEMA[0] := trunc((rAlpha*rVelocity[0]+(1-rAlpha)*rVelocityEMA[1])*100)/100;

I use the Frontline Netdecoder with a bunch of adaptors ie... Controlnet to USB, DeviceNet to USB, DH+ to USB, rs232 sniffer, rs485 sniffer, ethernet to USB sniffer.
I don't have to use these that often but when you need them, nothing else will do.

Checking the rate of stuffs

Code:
//Sets sample rate
tonr(tSampleRate);
tSampleRate.PRE := 100;

if not tSampleRate.DN then
    tSampleRate.Reset := 0;
    tSampleRate.TimerEnable := 1;
else
    tSampleRate.Reset := 1;
    tSampleRate.TimerEnable := 0;
    rAcceleration[1] := rAcceleration[0];
    rVelocityEMA[1] := rVelocityEMA[0];
    rVelocity[1] := rVelocity[0];
    rPosition[2] := rPosition[1];
    rPosition[1] := rPosition[0];
    rPosition[0] := LocalIOHere;
    rVelocity[0] := (rPosition[1]-rPosition[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
    rAcceleration[0] := (rVelocity[1]-rVelocity[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
    rJerk := (rAcceleration[1]-rAcceleration[0])*(60*1000)/tSampleRate.PRE;
end_if;

//Filter
rAlpha := 1;

rVelocityEMA[0] := trunc((rAlpha*rVelocity[0]+(1-rAlpha)*rVelocityEMA[1])*100)/100;
I would like to see a trend of your calculations. The problem I see is that there is nothing that guarantees the samples are taken at equal intervals. That messes up the calculations due to sample jitter.

The RMC200 has an alpha-beta-gamma and alpha-beta-gamma-delta filter built in. These far not available on the RMC150 and RMC75.

Check this out.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/AlphaBetaGamma.mp4
The alpha-beta-gamma filter is just a simplified form of a steady state Kalman filter.

https://www.kalmanfilter.net/alphabeta.html