Kinetix 350 EOL is Dec 2022 - Any issues to change to Kinetix 5300?

lunenburger

We have a machine with four Kinetix 350 servo drives
Model 2097-V34PR5-LM

We have just replaced our second drive in the last 6 months, and I see that the End of Life for Kinetix 350 is Dec 2022

Suggested replacement from AB is Kinetix 5300 Model 2198-C4015-ERS

PLC is CompactLogix L33ERMS

Anybody see any issues or roadblocks to making the change?

remember on servos, the firmware has to be lock stepped together. Use compatibility matrix on ab to get correct firmware level with new drives. Look for any issues and probably could get the local AB servo/drive guy for assistance.

Since its a known drive configuration i should not blank out your parameters for that axis but be prepared by a backup.

Also would have to go thru a io check/power checks/tuning procedure for the new axis.

I would take screen shots on all the axis screens. off line copy sometimes does not show it. It helps when your trying to tune your drive, because sometimes new equipment is not tight on connections and will give you some out in left field tuning results.

This way you have a way to compare it to a known good tuned parameters. Since your load and torque has not changed just the new drive.

I dont know how many times this saved me from 2nd guessing myself on whether the drive is tuned correctly.

I always seemed you dont tighten the encoder cable all the way, encoder mechanical connection is not tight either on the board or at the encoder, all the other nonsense that you run into with switching a drive out.

Check your panels/sizing etc.
We are also in that boat, & the equivalent drive filter combo is much larger than the K300 we use.

The 2kw unit does not mount onto the filter either, even though the manual states it does.
When we put this back to our distributor, it went around quite a few loops I believe, with end result is they are going to change the manual.