anyone else try to put humor into their programs?

I always try to make the next guy laugh.

Humor in comments sure, HMI messages or other stuff sure. I make some really colorful comments some times.

Humor in tag names and descriptions??? No!!! ;) No cleaver nick names or inside jokes, just name the damn thing what it actually is. Other wise the only one that thinks you are funny is you. And the guy after wants to hunt you down and use a hammer on your skull....

You struck a nerve :confused:

Last edited:
Nearly every HMI program I make has an easter egg or something "witty" hidden in there somewhere. My last one was for a complete controls upgrade to an old Henry coolant filtration system. On the manual controls screen, when you press the button to index/rotate the coolant drum, a small picture of Animal from Sesame Street playing the drums appears to indicate there is a drum roll occurring. It's only on one screen buried multiple screens deep so not many people will ever get to see it, but a few have and only a handful of them even get the older guy childhood reference.

Animal_Drum.jpg

Maybe not programming but every time I would get a set of the mechanical drawings for a new project I would mark up any problems I could see with panel locations etc.
I would zoom in on any operator that was on the drawing and but “Bears” on their hat. You could not see this on a printed drawing only If you really zoomed in. I received a scathing email from the mechanical lead that I needed to recheck the drawings the changes were not correct. I went back into the drawings and zoomed in and he had put “Packers” on the hats and where he could fit it “Bears still suck” on the shirts. It was a great laugh.

I went back into the drawings and zoomed in and he had put “Packers” on the hats and where he could fit it “Bears still suck” on the shirts. It was a great laugh.

I concur. I am carrying the "G" on my head today.

I have left some snarky commentary hidden in dwg files myself. I replaced the W_DOT symbol in the shared library at a previous employer with some tiny text that they will not appreciate if they ever find it.

Humor in my comments are rarely seen by anybody else. Rung 0008
"If we divide 6000 by the Cycle time in milliseconds, then that gives us the Cycles per minute. But I have to make sure that the cycle time is not zero so that we don't divide by zero and blow up the Universe."

LadderSnip.PNG

sometimes i left comments like

If you've made it this far, I'm sure you'll understand that I have to find you and dispose of you now.

or when a manager comes up with a nonsensical edit I leave comments like

fondly remembering a working machine and code that died in a tragic accident with *manager's name*

sometimes i left comments like

If you've made it this far, I'm sure you'll understand that I have to find you and dispose of you now.

or when a manager comes up with a nonsensical edit I leave comments like

fondly remembering a working machine and code that died in a tragic accident with *manager's name*
Yeah a lot of my more colorful comments usually involve blame and the stupidity of the previous author for having to Hack around something. Usually say something like
THIS IS A ****ING HACK, Don't blame me, blame *insert name here*, For writing this spaghetti code, and blame *insert manager name here* for letting him do it, and also blame them for not giving me the time to rewrite it all.

oh, i got in trouble for being clever once.

I had a panelview plus with a big multi-state text indicator that essentially functioned as a help window: Depending on the fault or condition, a large block of text would show up.

These also have an error condition: If the display value doesn't match one of the state values, or if there's a comms error, it shows the error state text.

Instead of leaving it blank, i wrote out the text of lewis carroll's nonsense poem, jabberwocky. Hey, you memorize something in 6th grade, it's not going away.

Until one day the ethernet switch in the system failed, and the hmi was filled with asterisks and wireframes. The only thing that showed anything but a blank was the poem.

The customer panicked, concluding that a jabberwocky virus had infected the panelview. They isolated the whole production line and called their it incident group.

There is in fact a virus with that name; it's literally a 812-byte visual basic script from 1992 with just one line of text and a shout-out to a british virus researcher.

By this time i had long forgotten about what i'd left in the panelview, and the messages of alarm from the customer were unclear. I went onsite and got thoroughly chewed out by their it and production managers, and my protestations that they should be more conversant with modern english poetry were unconvincing.

rotfl

Last edited:
Some passwords of some PLC we received had the password NoSoup4U
It was pretty fun... Seinfield Reference

Humor in comments sure, HMI messages or other stuff sure. I make some really colorful comments some times.

Humor in tag names and descriptions??? No!!! ;) No cleaver nick names or inside jokes, just name the damn thing what it actually is. Other wise the only one that thinks you are funny is you. And the guy after wants to hunt you down and use a hammer on your skull....

You struck a nerve :confused:

Yea... not in tag names. I don't care how irritated you get at a device.. don't name its tag

SomeEffingPOS

its not helpful.. Put that in the description if you need to..