upload .mer file access denied

ERCfarcontrol

I'm attempting to upload a .mer file from a panelview plus 7 performance. I'm using factory talk view studio release number 8.00.00. The panelview os # is 2.51, the station version is 9.0.0.241.

I'm using the upload tab in the transfer utility, and it appears to start the upload but 5 seconds into it a window pops up stating that access is denied. Is this a softwarerrevision mismatch issue or a security issue?

I know very very very little about Rockwell. In the past I have been able to poke around enough to upload and download files to panelviews and compactlogix, do some I/o troubleshooting, and make small program changes. Rockwell software seems like an overly complicated assortment of programs scabbed on to each other to make all of their products integrate with each other. Are there any tutorials that go over their whole line of software and how it is used?

I'm attempting to upload a .mer file from a panelview plus 7 performance. I'm using factory talk view studio release number 8.00.00. The panelview os # is 2.51, the station version is 9.0.0.241.

I'm using the upload tab in the transfer utility, and it appears to start the upload but 5 seconds into it a window pops up stating that access is denied. Is this a softwarerrevision mismatch issue or a security issue?

Where are you trying to upload to? Can't say this is the issue here, but I get an access denied error when trying to upload directly to my work's network drive. If I instead upload to a folder on my desktop and then copy to the network, it works no problem.

For obvious reasons you'll have issues trying to make changes to a v9 program if your studio version is v8, but afaik that shouldn't affect the upload process.

Hmm, it MIGHT be a version issue. Your PV is using version 9.0 and your software is version 8.0. I would have thought it would let you download it regardless. You just wouldn't be able to restore it. But maybe it is just outright preventing it because of the version.

Usually there is more to an Access Denied message that helps clue us in on "why". Was there any additional detail with that message?

OG

I read that thread before posting. I'm trying to upload to my desktop. I'm not trying to access or modify the file, I just want a copy of it incase of a failure in the future.

Grasping at straws here, but could it be a FactoryTalk security issue?

Have you tried going into FactoryTalk Administration Console (Network option when prompted) to verify that you have FT access rights? With an existing install of View Studio, certain security policies may have been set up that does not include the "new" Panelview as a legit computer, or you as a current user.

Although I can't find any policy that would seem to prevent the Transfer utility from working, the act of logging into to FactoryTalk might be enough to give you access. Who knows, perhaps it's trying to read the Panelview's Linx Enterprise configuration to copy it to your PC, and you don't have the rights to modify LinxNG. I've seen weirder things in Rockwell.

Also, out of curiosity, are you trying to upload from the Internal or External storage?

If you have physical access to the panel and can get to the configuration screen, you should be able to copy the file to a USB drive and avoid dealing with the transfer utility entirely.

As a side note, we don't actually know for sure what version the file is; just that it can't be higher than 9 (since that's what the panel is at).

You might try upgrading (just) the transfer utility to eliminate any possibility of an issue caused by the file being a higher revision than your software.

I know very very very little about Rockwell. In the past I have been able to poke around enough to upload and download files to panelviews and compactlogix, do some I/o troubleshooting, and make small program changes. Rockwell software seems like an overly complicated assortment of programs scabbed on to each other to make all of their products integrate with each other. Are there any tutorials that go over their whole line of software and how it is used?
Hi, In my case (Today) the problem was on the destination windows folder, was on google drive and cannot access, simply changed to desktop and works ok
Hope helps