How to share Factorytalk Activations from host to VM Ware Virtual Machine

Abner300wsm

I am trying to share my activations from my host laptop windows 7. To my virtual machine windows xp. I have created a second network adapter in my vm and tried to point my activation to the ip address of my laptop. I am having some technical difficulties. This is my first time using the virtual machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you can use the IP address; I think you have to use the computer name. Every time I've gone to set it up it's been as simple as that - type the computer name and away it goes!

Aye, somewhere here there are answers to that. Sorry I do not have time just now to point to the thread.

I questioned Ken on it last year and he pointed me in the right direction and it appears to work - I have RSLogix5000 V20.01 on my laptop and V20.03 on a virtual machine on the laptop to overcome difficulties with 3rd party PLC code....

But if I remember correctly, it does cause complications if you try and have both sessions open - one on laptop and one on the VM...licence not found....

Yes, if the host laptop is using the activation, the virtual machine won't be able to. You would have to close RSLogix on the host, wait for it to release the activation, and then open it on the VM. Or vice versa.

Setup a host-only network on your vm network editor. Make sure that adapter is enabled on your vm.
The IP address of the host on the private network, by default, will be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (in my case it is 192.168.136.1). You'll want to make sure you can ping this from your vm.
If successful, go into your FT act mgr on your vm - > Manage Activations - > Update Activation Search Path. In here is where you enter the Host IP address on the private network. Make sure that you position it above the default C:\ drive path.

As long as you have a valid activation on the host, and it's not open there, this method should give you years of trouble - free Rockwell fun.

Thanks Everyone for your help. I was able to make it work by creating a host only network adapter and entering the ip address in my factorytalk activation.

Setup a host-only network on your vm network editor. Make sure that adapter is enabled on your vm.
The IP address of the host on the private network, by default, will be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (in my case it is 192.168.136.1). You'll want to make sure you can ping this from your vm.
If successful, go into your FT act mgr on your vm - > Manage Activations - > Update Activation Search Path. In here is where you enter the Host IP address on the private network. Make sure that you position it above the default C:\ drive path.

As long as you have a valid activation on the host, and it's not open there, this method should give you years of trouble - free Rockwell fun.

Thanks, this worked great for me. Note that the server didn't show up in the browser list, but worked when I just typed the IP in.