Alan-Bradley vs. Siemens

Now I have yet another obstacle. My laptop does not have a 3.5” floppy drive so I asked for the tech at AB if I could download it from their site. The one in question is for PaneView and the tech I talked to told me that I could download the software IF my tech support were current. This was the deal breaker! My company paid for this software a long time ago, it is on the sheet listing serial number and who purchased it. This is software that was already purchased but it is being held for ransom until I renew my tech agreement. This is outrageous!

If you guys have any doubt about the support at Siemens, give them a call yourselves. 1-800-333-7421 Check it out. It is FREE. I have used damn near every ones software and hardware. There is no question who's I prefer. Check the listing of questions in this forum. There are a hell of a lot more AB questions than Siemens. I have had some terrible experiences with AB software.

Now I have yet another obstacle. My laptop does not have a 3.5” floppy drive so I asked for the tech at AB if I could download it from their site. The one in question is for PaneView and the tech I talked to told me that I could download the software IF my tech support were current. This was the deal breaker! My company paid for this software a long time ago, it is on the sheet listing serial number and who purchased it. This is software that was already purchased but it is being held for ransom until I renew my tech agreement. This is outrageous!

A USB Floppy drive is a cheap life saver, just saying.

Strange though, AB Tech Support switched an old master disk over to an online activation without a problem and they never asked for my Tech Connect authorization number.

To say "all these A-B questions on the Forum means A-B quality or support is bad" is a basic logical fallacy.

Question volume is proportional to installed base.

This is a line from my actual conversation with AB. I blotted out the persons name:

[05:08:55 PM] @@@@: You have to install these programs again on the new machine, using there setup files. You can download them all on our web site if you have a support contract, and then use a portable hardrive to get them to the computer.

Now I have yet another obstacle. My laptop does not have a 3.5” floppy drive so I asked for the tech at AB if I could download it from their site. The one in question is for PaneView and the tech I talked to told me that I could download the software IF my tech support were current.

Do you mean the software installer or the activation? What panelview software? 1200? 1400? PanelBuilder 32?

Just get a USB floppy drive. They cost like 5 bucks and that will solve your issue without a contract renewal.

This was the deal breaker!

It's just one of the many costs of doing business.

I remember on another thread you indicated you had downtime cost upwards of 100K per day on a specific process and the company does not want to pay for a support contract? I could not see running a facility without 24/7/365 support for the installed base myself.

If you company has downtime costs of 100K per day and they take issue with paying for a Rockwell support contract on what you listed something is very wrong with the management there.

My company paid for this software a long time ago,

If it's critical then they should have kept up with it and had a method to move it to another laptop if one craps out.

Every. Single. Time.

Tech Support: "All of the information you need and software updates are available to users with current support contracts."

Customer: "I'm really in a bind; all I need is a download of some software I bought five years ago. The diskettes are nowhere to be found. Can I get this one download ?"

Tech Support: "Yes. Here's a temporary contract number to use on the download website."

Customer: "Thank you ! I really appreciate it."

Tech Support: "Now, let me transfer you to support services so you can get a contract in place for future use."

Customer: <click>

I'm being flippant, of course. But I think you'll see the basic principle: if you don't charge because of an exceptional circumstance, nobody will pay for ordinary circumstances.

Examples... heck, categories, which I've personally dealt with:

1. New user with no PLC experience who bought the software last year and let the 1 year support contract expire without renewal because he had not needed any support that year.

2. Longtime expert who won't pay for technical support because he's more experienced than the support engineers.

3. Software that was obsolete 18 years ago. "You don't offer it for sale anymore, so it must not be worth anything".

4. Software running on a beta Windows release. "It's been in beta for months, you should be supporting it by now".

5. Giant company who doesn't pay for support because "we buy so much hardware you should give us free support".

6. One-man company who doesn't pay for support because "I can't afford it because I'm too small a company".

7. Medium size company who doesn't pay for support because "we only do one or two Brand A systems a year, because we hate you".

8. Federal contractor. "The shuttle is sitting on the launchpad and it's going to be your fault if we can't pump out the quenching ponds."

9. "I pay for 24 hour support so I want the engineering department working on finding a solution to my problem 24 hours a day".

There's a reasonable argument to be made that experienced, native-language-speaking, highly skilled support engineers should be available 24/7 for a price included in the cost of hardware.

Can Brand B or D provide 8/5 weekday support without charging ? Yes, they can, for their installed base and level of demand.

But Brand A has chosen to build that worldwide network of support engineers, and they can't run that business on nothing.

Last edited:
In case you can't tell... it's a touchy subject, even years later (I don't work in Tech Support, or for a PLC vendor, anymore). :oops:

Your gripes are legitimate. I wish the download server, at least, was free.

But the reasons not to make it so are legitimate, too, and those are the ones they have to do business with.

Your gripes are legitimate. I wish the download server, at least, was free.

But Ken those downloads are large and bandwidth ain't free. As a matter of fact it's quite a high cost.

Those FTP severs cost lots of money and so do the sys admins that manage them. I handle about 8 large FTP servers for our company so I know the work involved.

For some reason most people expect something for free and those are the people who seldom do or offer anything for free. Nothing is free in this life there is always an agenda or a price.

5 Reasons not to give services for free.

You Break it You Bought it.

When you sit down to fix a problem that presented as a simple one you are creating a contract. Not a legal contract, but a social one. The computer owner is trusting their computer with you. It's their baby, and you're the doctor. So you sit down, and begin to fix a problem.

In the process, something else breaks. You fixed one thing, but something else goes awry. What's the best part? Neither you nor the user notice it is broken until a day later when they call you to blame you for breaking something else.

"I thought you were going to fix it." They complain.

This is the primary reason you charge money to fix something. You break it, you bought it. The user / owner will expect you to warranty your service even though THEY received all the value of your time, and you received nothing in exchange.

People don't respect things that are free.

I learned that quote from a man who runs a non-profit organization. Image that. A man who solicits donations for a living candidly told me "people don't respect things that are free." You know what? He's right.

Free advice. Free upgrade. Free entry. None are valued. Free advice is seldom wanted. Free upgrade was something you were going to get anyway. Free entry? The band playing tonight must not be any good.

People associate the value of service with the amount of money that is exchanged for it. How else do you think that lawyer can get away with charging $400 an hour? People naturally make the assumption that if it costs an arm and a leg, then it must be worth it.

So, if customers and friends will assume that the most expensive car is the best one, what will they assume of the free car? Do you want the heart surgeon who charges $500,000 per surgery or the one who works for beer to operate on your mother?

They will expect it forever.

In law, the concept of a precedent is vitally important. Judges and lawyers look to previous cases to decide what the interpretation of the law was because if a case was settled one way before, chances are, it will be settled that way again.

Gamblers playing craps look at the past behavior of the dice to, mistakenly, assume that the good luck will continue.

Users will figure if you fixed it once for free, you'll do it forever for free. There is no reason why they should respect the thousands of hours you have spent learning and researching the art of computer science. There is no reason that they should respect the certifications you hold. There is no reason that they should honor your abilities by paying your fees. Why? Because you did it for free. Once!

When they come back and you try to get fees, they will meet you with resistance in the form of guilt. "I thought we were friends" they cry. "You didn't charge me anything last time." They argue.

Setup the expectation that they are going to pay (or barter) from the onset. Demand the respect that you deserve. Make sure they understand you are a professional. After all, that is the difference between a professional and an amateur. Professionals get compensated for their skills.

The demands will only grow with time.

Give them an inch, and they will take you a mile.Once you've set the precedent and created the expectation that you are their knight in shining armor, they will begin to call you for everything. They will suck up your time and resources. They will not be grateful. They will involve you in 30 minute hypothetical conversations then disagree with your expertise.

It Weakens Your Backbone

Working for free is not only unprofitable, it weakens your constitution as a professional consultant. For many consultants, asking for money is difficult. They email out a silent invoice after the fact and hope they get paid. This practice can lead to unbalanced books, debt, and a going out of business sign. The simple fact is: if you don't ask for your money, you're not going to get paid. No one just hands out checks.

Setting up the expectation, especially when you fix a computer for the first time for a client, is vitally important in establishing boundaries that ensure you are paid in a timely fashion. Working for free, throwing out freebies, "comp"-ing your time hurts your ability to ask for the sale. It hurts your credibility because the client will assume that if you're not charging them for a given task, you didn't know what you were doing or you made mistakes.

It may give you butterflies, but ask for the money. Do it openly and notoriously. Your clients will take it as a sign of confidence.