Congratulation!

I think the original poster has simply dropped into the wrong forum. The survey he refers to relates to the Process Control market which has been historically distinct from the Automation Controls market we are more concerned with. Granted there is an increasing degree overlap, but on the ground the two markets are still rather different in many ways.

ABB does make a PLC ...part of its Industrial IT System 800xA product line. On paper it looks is reasonably competent, although the only installation I am aware of, so fell short of it's owner's expectations that it was ripped out and replaced with Delta-V at great expense, after only 18 months.

ABB is ranked number one worldwide in Process Instrumentation and Controls
WHY!!!!!

Nearly all the water treatment plants in New South Wales - Ozz are controlled by Hitachi or Omron PLCs with a Citect SCADA over the top.

Who is ABB?????

The numbers are not falsified. Walt Boyes is not a forger or con-man.

The numbers come from

- PhilipK's observation that the numbers are for the process automation market (only a subset on this forum are in this market), which overlaps, but does is not identical with the Automation Controls market (which more accurately reflects the constituency of this forum)

- the nature of ABB's business - consolidations & company purchases by ABB.

The web site generating the original ranking list has another interesting list, or table of "Missing Companies" at

http://www.controlglobal.com/articles/2005/487.html

The example used (below) actually uses ABBs situation, a company that has purchased many others and inherits with the purchase the collective installed-base(s), as pointed out by AutomaticLeigh (above).

"For example, the Fischer & Porter Company, a well-known name in 1990, had ceased to exist as a marque in 2002. The company, itself, was purchased by Elsag BV, and merged with Bailey Controls to form Bailey-Fischer-Porter. Later, Elsag sold the combined companies to ABB, who elected to drop both trade names in favor of ABB Process Instrumentation. So, an Instrument Engineer whose company installed Fischer & Porter instrumentation or control systems in the early 1990s may now find it impossible to easily find information, manuals, and source spare parts and service for Fischer & Porter systems. Fischer & Porter, as you will see in the table below, is far from the only example of this problem. The Authors therefore provide this information as a public service to the profession."

When you add up Applied Automation, Bailey, Combustion Engineering, Elsag, Fischer & Porter, Hartmann & Brown, Kent, Taylor, and TBI with Asea Brown Boveri's original base, it does add up.

Dan

Different

i am still last year student,i had been traind in both companies ABB&SIEMENS in Siemens i tarined on S7 300 it's really gr8 and has huge power than any of ABB PLC's,in ABB i trained on AC 31 it's software so difficult and bad interface i hate my the plc week in ABB.
But when we come to Dirves ABB is the most powerfull Drives around the world and i think that all of us aprove that,siemens Drives i didn't even touch it but this talks from experince people i know.
i think that SIEMENS & ABB even they are in the same filed but they are tottaly differnt,when u talk about DCS u will go directly to M-controller or F-controller From ABB i worked on it also and it's soooo good than s7 300,400 it's designed to be workin DCS not like s7 400 for controlling somehow big process.
so to be fair,ABB Specialized in some thing adn Siemens in other thing.

Heres a question for you all.

What part of ABB is still ABB? Didnt Siemens just buy either all or a huge portion of ABB?

I know for sure that Siemens own the ABB power generation division (gas turbines and steam turbines) and since the ABB Advant control system is used to control these Im sure they would of bought that division up to.

Back
Top Bottom