Uploading from S7-314

So I swapped the MPI & DP connectors over and the HMI wouldn't boot and I couldn't start the hydraulic pump motor. Swapped them back and it's back to normal. Did you mean swap the Profibus cables between each 6ES7972-0BB42-0XA0 before swapping them over, so that the Profibus cables currently associated with the DP port stay associated with the DP port? Just the passthrough D9 connector moves?
Yes that is what I meant. No offense, I assumed it to be obvious so I didnt mention it.

Swap the connectors & leave the cables at the same ports as they originally connected.
By this you will fix the two sided 9 pin connector at the X1 (MPI) , then you will be able to get to the CPU via MPI (remember to set your PC/PG to MPI), usually MPI speed defaults to 187.5 which the adapter can handle.

Hagos

Thanks. I've swapped the connector with the passthrough DB-9 to the MPI port and can now get online and monitor.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the program appears to be written in statement list and will not display as ladder. I'm obviously a Simatic S7 newbie and at the moment I'm struggling to even find where bit outputs are set in the program. I'm hoping someone could assist.

For instance, I would like to see why the Manual Mode indicator lamp isn't coming on. It's output Q0.7. I'm trying to use Find (Ctrl+F) but it only seems to search the block that you have open, not the whole program. Can someone give me a quick primer on how to use Simatic Manager v5.6 to troubleshoot, please?

You can do a cross ref & limit the list to what you want, for example "Q" (Or "A" if in german) this will give you a cross ref of all that you want or limit to from all blocks.
STL was a favourite back in the days of S5 (FB's could only be programmed in STL), it is possible if the logic is correct to seperate the rungs with BLD255 (***) Segment end, but if the brackets are not correct it will not work, brackets are sort of the graphical way of displaying in ladder in some Japanese they use MPS MPP for the branches.

You can do a cross ref & limit the list to what you want, for example "Q" (Or "A" if in german) this will give you a cross ref of all that you want or limit to from all blocks.
STL was a favourite back in the days of S5 (FB's could only be programmed in STL), it is possible if the logic is correct to seperate the rungs with BLD255 (***) Segment end, but if the brackets are not correct it will not work, brackets are sort of the graphical way of displaying in ladder in some Japanese they use MPS MPP for the branches.

Thanks, but how exactly do I generate a cross reference? Do you have time to walk me through it? I'm currently looking at the list of all the various blocks in the right hand pane of a Simatic Manager window and I'm looking for Q0.7...

20221129 screen shot.png

I'm just booting up my old laptop, so much on it takes about 10 mins somebody may beat me to it as I have not used S7 for a number of years

On the off-line file select OPTIONS from the top menu then Reference Data Then filter there you can tick Inputs, outputs etc. Then select the above again and select generate to get latest data, then select it all again & select display,

Cross Ref 1.png Cross Ref 2.png

Thanks Parky. I managed to generate a cross reference and found that Q0.7 was set in FC31. Unfortunately, there appears to be some sort of error in FC31 that is stopping me from monitoring. I've attached files showing the error message, details thereof and the FC31 screen showing Call and End Call in red and the Monitor (glasses) icon greyed out. I'm hoping it's not something I've done whilst stumbling about. I don't think it is as I've been very careful to take the safe option when asked if I want to save changes after inadvertantly altering something

20221129A screen shot.png 20221129B screen shot.png 20221129C screen shot.png

You can ignore the timestamps for now, try to do a compare of those blocks to check they are the same.
The BLD 1 & 2 are treated in the PLC as NOP's so do not affect the operation.
As for those call & End call, never seen end call, call is the same as JC or JU but it seems it is trying to call an FB that does not exist on your copy. what you need to do is do a compare of all the blocks.
I'm also wondering if this was programmed in TIA (Depends on the firmware though) I do know that older firmware cannot be programmed on TIA but you can monitor but not change the program, when was this initially installed ?

Last edited:
When you say "compare those blocks", do you mean compare online with offline? When I first noticed the error, I deleted the project and got another upload. The error is still there so I'm guessing there's little point in doing a compare? In any case, how would I perform this compare?

The machine was built in October 2012. A quick Google suggests that TIA was first introduced two years prior. Is it worth trying to get an upload with TIA? We have TIA Portal v15 & v15.1.

For a bit of context, I work for a second-hand machinery merchant. We're trying to get this machine running to sell to a prospective customer. I'm the PLC guy - I'm moderately proficient in RS Logix & CCW but it's 20+ years since I touched Siemens and I'm pretty clueless as you can tell, especially with statement list.

Yes you are probably right, if you have re-uploaded then there is no point, it does seem to me that TIA may have been used, I have it but never really used it in earnest & now I concentrate on Mitsubishi more than anything else.
As I say it will depend on the firmware but at 2012 I would think that it is compatible with TIA.

I got an upload with TIA Portal v15.1 and FC31 seems to be "cleaner" without the red-coloured font and no End Call. Does this suggest that it was indeed programmed using TIA?

At the moment, the Project / Save as menu option is greyed out. How do I save it? Also, how do I monitor in TIA?

20221129D screen shot.png

Sorry Parky, I made my previous post before I saw your latest reply, where you said you didn't use TIA much, so you're perhaps not the best person of whom to ask questions. Feel free to chip in on my simplistic queries though :)

Any advice from any quarter would be gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
Yep, only used it a little, try going off line & see it that allows you to save it or perhaps click file & if enabled "save as" I know Siemens can be a little quirky.
Or perhaps create a new project select the type of PLC then do an upload to see if you can save it.