1734-IB8S EDS file

jgebhardt

Can someone please tell me how to update the EDS file revision on a POINT I/O 1734-IB8S? I have about 30 modules, one is different and I am not sure how to update it. Thanks in advance for the help!

I "assume" you can see it in RSLinx and it has a yellow question mark. Right click it and there should be an option to upload/update EDS file...Then follow the prompts.

HTH

Sounds like you have a module w/ a different revision, If for some reason you can't 'upload' from the module, You can go to the rockwell site and get any eds file you need.

I can see it is RSLinx and it does not have a question mark. It is just a different revision than the other 30 modules I have and we would like them to all be the same. I need to know how to update it.

Well, You can't change the module revision. That's a hardware thing.
Those modules don't have a 'firmware' persay that can be updated.

I presume you've got a HW Rev B module and the rest are A

Series for Hardware, Firmware Revision for Software

Dravik said:
...You can't change the module revision. That's a hardware thing.
Those modules don't have a 'firmware' persay that can be updated.

I presume you've got a HW Rev B module and the rest are A

Just be careful with the terminology used here...

These products have a "Series" number to represent their current hardware level, not a "rev" number, as in "revision". The revision refers to the Firmware Revision, and no, this can not be updated. The POINT I/O modules are not recognized or supported in ControlFLASH.

For the 1734-IB8S POINT Guard modules there are Series A and Series B hardware versions. The Series A modules consume more current (175mA) and so they dissipate more heat. This can lead to overheating issues with some rack configurations under certain conditions. This is why RA advise users, where overheating is detected, or is likely to occur, to space their Series A modules using 1734-CTM spacer modules.

The Series B hardware modules consume less current (110mA) and were redesigned to dissipate their heat more efficiently. You do not need to use the 1734-CTM spacer modules with the Series B modules.

These Series differences are, of course, hardware dependent, and so a Series A module cannot be upgraded, flashed or modified in any way to "become" a Series B module.

If you have a Series A module and you would prefer it to be a Series B module, in keeping with the rest, then you must physically replace it with a Series B module.

jgebhardt said:
Can someone please tell me how to update the EDS file revision on a POINT I/O 1734-IB8S? I have about 30 modules, one is different and I am not sure how to update it...

...It is just a different revision than the other 30 modules I have and we would like them to all be the same. I need to know how to update it...

...I went to the Rockwell site but I am not sure how to get the revision into the module...

...I have about 30 Rev B's and one Rev A.

Again, Series A, Series B, not "Rev".

As you now know they are different modules at the hardware level, and that you cannot transform your Series A module into a Series B module; the Firmware Revision difference, of which you will undoubtedly be seeing (Series A = r1.x, Series B= r2.x), is of little relevance, even if you could flash them.

With regard to EDS files, and your initial question on how to "update" one, I feel it necessary to inform you of a misconception you appear to have...

An Electronic Date Sheet (EDS) will contain the identification and parameterization of object related data pertaining to a field device of which complies with the CIP specification.

Put more simply, an EDS file defines a device and how that device's data may be accessed by other devices. Changing or editing an EDS file, correctly, does not change anything in the device. It just changes how we recognize and communicate with it. The contents of an EDS file must closely match the actual device or else the software will usually indicate an error.

An EDS file will often also contain a reference to a specific icon file installed on the local workstation. Many EDS file downloads will also contain the icon file. Another option is to embed the icon graphic in the EDS file in ASCII format. This way the EDS file can extract and reproduce the icon graphic without the need for the original icon file.

If you find and register a newer version EDS file for a specific version of a device, this does not update the device itself. It will usually just fix previous errors and/or add/remove object related parameters, etc.

If you find and register a newer version EDS file for a newer version of a specific device, then usually this EDS file is only related to that newer version of the device i.e. the EDS file contains new or updated information or features that are only present in the newer device.

Examples:

Initial version of an EDS file (v1.0) may expose some of a device's features - Access to some Object data

An updated version of an EDS file (v1.1) may expose all of a device's features - Access to all Object data

Another updated version of an EDS file (v1.2) may fix certain bugs or errors - In how Object data is accessed

A newer version of an EDS file (v2.0) may expose some new features which have only be added or modified in a hardware/firmware change - New Object data

So a registered EDS file tells the likes of RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise (I've dangled a hook there...), RSNetWorx, RSLogix 5000, Logix Designer, ControlFLASH, etc., about what is already there in a device and how we may utilize it in a read-only fashion without manipulating the device itself in any way.

Another important consideration to be made here is the Add-On Profile (AOP) for such modules. When used, an AOP can provide a richer user interface to access and manipulate a device's parameters. It can provide a means to monitor the module's status in real-time and fault on connection errors. It can also expose Module-Defined tags to make its integration into the application much easier. Similarly, AOPs, other than certain configuration parameters, such as node addressing, etc., and access to I/O data, do not change a device as in update it at the firmware level.

The 1734-IB8S and -OB8S Series A modules use an older AOP (v2.02.04), whereas the Series B modules uses a newer AOP (v3.01.02). Whether you are using AOPs for these modules or not will depend on your network architecture and whether or not you have these modules added to the I/O Configuration in RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer.

Either way, it is important for you to understand that neither EDS files nor Add-On Profiles update their related devices. What they do update is the information currently provided by their related devices.

POINT I/O modules are fixed in Hardware (Series) and Firmware (Revision). However, a particular Series of modules may be released with different Firmware Revisions. But one Firmware Revision, within the same Series, cannot be flashed to a newer Revision. They are sold separately.

Example...

Series B Revision 2.0 I/O module
Series B Revision 2.1 I/O module
Series B Revision 2.2 I/O module

...are all released as separate hardware and are not upgradeable. You must replace a Series B 2.0 with a Series B 2.1 or 2.2 to exploit their features.

If this was a batch of modules all ordered around the same time then it's possible that they just had one older Series A in the mix and sent it on. If you specifically want all Series B modules then you (whomever) could look for a replacement on the grounds that you expected the latest hardware to be supplied.

I would also ask, at the end of all this, why do you want them all the same? Is it just a niggle to look at, or have you a specific concern?

Regards,
George

Damn, I saw a reply and thought I had a bite there!

This fishing takes some patience...especially with all the Sharks around here!

Why thank you kind Sir Ron. High praise indeed. I must admit though, I have probably picked up a trick or two from your good self somewhere along the way...

Kind regards,
George

They are very particular in the entertainment industry and they expect them all to match. The reason being is that they buy spare parts from us. If that module ever goes bad, all of the rest are series B and most likely the spares would be as well. So when they go to swap it out the module is faulted because it doesn't match the series and firmware revision in the program. Now they have to get into the program to update the module properties or call us to do it and then they ask the question "Why was that one different?". That's what led me to asking this question in the first place. I configured everything as series B and turns out there was one series A and the module was faulted because the program was expecting a series B with 2.0 firmware not series A with 1.12 firmware.