Hardware & software of choice

Format C:

That question is very much on par with the one asked in This Thread
sleep2.gif

Paul

Hey, its good Friday you know. You could show a little respect by not trying to instigate another quarell. (just kidding)

Anyway Ive recovered from the last thread like this so I'm up for it. Do like NASA's Mars Missions, (faster, better & cheaper) and go with AutomationDirect.

Dukes up everyone!

format C: said:
As nobody else is posting, heres one .....

If a customer ordered a system with an open spec., what hardware / software would you choose?

It depends on which company will take me to lunch or give me free stuff.

I would spec a Burnt And Dumb (BAD) PLC. A BAD PLC doesn't cost much and there are so many BAD programmers in the world that it should be easy to find one. A BAD PLC will keep you busy, which, if you do it right, relates to job security, since you'll always be working on it.
Now I know some people don't want a BAD PLC but we all get one every now and again. I spoke to an ASSistant (a BAD ***.) at BAD Inc., and he told me they will continue to make the BAD PLC as long as people keep buying them.
Just for the record, I am not affiliated with BAD PLCs, but I am associated with GOlden Original Dynamics PLCs.

LOL.

Good post for a chuckle....

And for the record, I'm with Mike. You can't beat the price and ease of programming when it comes to AD. I was showing an AB rep the DirectSoft software and he had to agree that it was easier than RSLogix!

Long Live AD.

Having just gone back and read the old post I hope that Tom's tongue healed alright...

Last edited:
This kind of question really begs to be qualified. Further information that is crucial to making sense of this question are:

1. What are YOUR drivers as a customer for buying a PLC?

2. What is the size and nature of your organisation.?

3. What type of control applications do you undertake, how large are they?

4. What is the skill level of the people who will be working with your automations system?

5. What is your automation technology history, and do you have a plan for your future?

Then the answers you get should be carefully judged according to who is giving them to you:

1. What are the DRIVERS behind this person’s anwer?

2. What is their experience in your kind of industry and type of organisation?

3. Have they ever done the kind of control work you do?

4. What is their real skill level?

5. What is their technology history?

If you seriously consider all these things then it is obvious that asking this question is tantamount to asking, “what is your favourite car/SUV/wheels?”. All your answers will fall into one of three categories:

1. All modern cars will get you from A to B.

2. What kind of person are you and what sort of driving do you do?

3. Or “FORDS RULE!!!”, (substitute your brand loyalty of the day). Sweeping generalisations characterise these guys. References are made to brands WITHOUT being specific to any exact products or any useful informations that might validate their claim.

This is why this kind of thread is called a pi$$ing contest. The question is too vague to have meaning, you have no way of verifying the qualifications of those who do post replies, and the basis on which they do so is shifting sand.

In the meantime the world go to he11 in a handbasket; some 50,000 odd humans needlessly die everyday of poverty, disease and neglect, and we will whack on about which PLC we think is best…sighs. Oh well at least Easter is a day or two off work.

Last edited:
Briefly

Use what you best knoe and trust in reasonable price.
A lot customers order package they dont care what inside.They look on machine performance and the bottom line.All the rest that for the future.
with God help.
When I ask my customer why you did it? he said I have you it is your problem now.
I hardly attempt not to answer.

At this point, I've got to say I really don't care what PLC I use.

I grew up on AutomationDirect. I still have a special place in my heart... But, I've done some price comparisons now and then. Most of the time, AD's prices don't "blow away" my other options. This is usually because I find myself using add-on cards for the projects I come up against.

I've grown quite comfortable with the SLC and Micrologix. I don't back away from an AB project. I'm not strong on ControlLogix, yet. But, I'm very amused by Rockwell's attempt at function block programming because I learned that on ABB's software first.

I don't see it mentioned here much, but I've learned to like ABB PLCs. The product would be really great if ABB could straighten up some of their documentation and support. There are a lot of things you can do with function block programming and structured text that read SO much cleaner than ladder logic.

AK