AB 1769-L16ER-BB1B Not changing mode.

Batman42

Hey Everyone,

I'm using studio 5000 version 33.12
The plc firmware is 33.012

I have this plc model: Compactlogix 5370 1769-L16ER-BB1B and when I connect to it with a simple program in studio 5000, It will not let me download the program to the plc and I get an error saying:

"The controller acknowledged the request for a transition to Remote Program mode, but it has not completed the transition. You can't download until the transition completes." Error 747-0

The Plc has a steady green Run light, but on Studio 5000 there is no Run light. In Studio, I do not have the option to switch back to program mode. The key switch is in Rem mode.

I see no faults at this point, however if I let the plc sit for a while it will give me a fault 16x0203 which is an I/O connection timeout fault. I don't have any extra I/O cards installed on the unit, it's just the internal I/O on the front, with no expansion modules.

Is there a way to factory reset the plc to factory settings, wiping all settings, ip configurations, etc? I have tried removing the SD card and holding the reset button on powerup, but the ip and internal settings remained the same.

Any help or leads on this is appreciated, thanks!

Do you have I/O modules configured in the I/O tree? This can happen if your program has I/O, but the physical I/O is not present.

I have double checked and I do not have any I/O configured in the I/O tree. There is a [1] Embedded Discrete_IO which I believe to be the internal I/O located on the front of the PLC, and an empty folder with the label: Expansion I/O, 0 modules.

I had this the other day on an L16 running V32. I put the switch in PROG and left it there, and then cycled power to the PLC. I was able to download to it again when it finally rebooted. I didn't change back to RUN or REM until the new program was successfully downloaded. This PLC had been in storage for a while, and it was programmed with external IO that no longer existed in my case.

@Batman42

Would your simple program contain any MSG instructions. Or rather does the controller currently have a program that contains MSG instructions. If I recall correctly we actually had an issue where the MSG instruction was preventing the transition due to removing network access from the controller. One it was disabled it transitioned fine.

No message instructions. The program contains an alias for input 0 called start, and an output alias for output 0 on a single rung. That is the extent of the program. Thanks

Its possible you have a faulty controller as well.

Only other thing that comes to the top of my head is what is the RPI interval for the embedded IO? If that's set really really low it's possible it could be causing it.

Hellsbishop34 said:
Its possible you have a faulty controller as well.

I have hundreds of these running and never had a bad one yet, not that its not possible but I would doubt it

The plc firmware is 33.012

I would flash it to V32 then try it again, flashing should reload everything if something is corrupt in the firmware or program... also I think I would use the USB to flash it or a SD card

I have hundreds of these running and never had a bad one yet, not that its not possible but I would doubt it

I have hundreds currently running as well. Also have 5 faulty sitting in front of me. 1 was a refurb. Other 4 are bricked by various means (We'll let anyone use a laptop around here /endrant )

We also have hundreds of 5 racks still running. I've learn not to doubt anything.

Also, I used to work as a hardware developer R&D for a Major Sensing manufacturer.

I would flash it to V32 then try it again, flashing should reload everything if something is corrupt in the firmware or program... also I think I would use the USB to flash it or a SD card

That's a good suggestion to rule out issues with the firmware. OP did mention using the reset button on powerup which should revert the controller to factory default.

Is it an Ebay item?
Is there an end cap?
Are able to go online? Are you connecting to it directly without any switches in between?
Have you tried flash down the firmware?

That's a good suggestion to rule out issues with the firmware. OP did mention using the reset button on powerup which should revert the controller to factory default.

Not really, it only clears the program but leaves the firmware, factory default does not have any firmware loaded

Holding the reset should have cleared the PROGRAM and reset the ethernet settings to default. Literally agreed with you to rule out firmware. Have a nice day.

I have tried downgrading the firmware and upgrading it again to match my Studio 5000 version. It is a PLC I found at work they were throwing out. It seems that the internal I/O never connects and is not found. It does have an end cap, the default plastic slip it comes with. I think my next step is to open it up and try to reseat any internal components related to the I/O.

Thanks for the troubleshooting everyone!

Check your AOIs for the possibility of an infinite loop in their prescan routine.

The behavior you describe can be exactly reproduced by creating one yourself.