Help updating compactlogix

Mueller34

My issue is twofold. I just got my boss to get studio 5000. I knew I had programs for our machines ranging from versions 30 to 33 so I downloaded those. I was called to another machine which I had no copy of the program for and went to connect to the compactlogix controller. First issue was it was written with version 21.00 so I went ahead and downloaded 21.03 from Rockwell's website. I still cannot upload the program. When I try to connect via studio 5000 upload it tells me to connect via RsLinx. I updated the eds files and within RsLinx I show that I am connected to the plc via Ethernet but I still cannot connect. So I need help with that, but I'm also curious if I should update the version from 21 to say 30 or 34. There is a panelview and powerflex hooked up to it so would I need to check comparability first? I mainly say that because my laptop with windows 7 is ready to die and if I get a new laptop I'd rather not set up a virtual machine if I didn't have to.

If I'm not mistaken, there's 2 versions of V21 of RSLogix5000, 21.01 & 21.03, and they ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. I honestly wouldn't update a machine if it was a running machine with no issue.

Rockwell locks you out of downloading and installing Studio 5000 version 21.01 on purpose because of its defects. The problem was resolved ten years ago but of course it still shows up.

Instead, you have access to version 21.00.04 and version 21.03.02.

Version 21.00.04 should be used with controllers that have version 21.00.xx firmware only and are in unusual circumstances where they cannot be modified or upgraded, like FDA qualified systems.

Instead, version 21.03.02 can upload or open, and then convert, any 21.x user program.

So let's focus on why RSLinx and RSLogix aren't working together.

Open up RSLinx Classic, browse the network, and post a description or screenshot of what you see. Check the version number of RSLogix as well: the EDS subsystem moved to using an embedded SQL server along with v21 ten years ago, and if you have older RSLinx that can be a problem.

Rockwell locks you out of downloading and installing Studio 5000 version 21.01 on purpose because of its defects. The problem was resolved ten years ago but of course it still shows up.

Instead, you have access to version 21.00.04 and version 21.03.02.

Version 21.00.04 should be used with controllers that have version 21.00.xx firmware only and are in unusual circumstances where they cannot be modified or upgraded, like FDA qualified systems.

Instead, version 21.03.02 can upload or open, and then convert, any 21.x user program.

So let's focus on why RSLinx and RSLogix aren't working together.

Open up RSLinx Classic, browse the network, and post a description or screenshot of what you see. Check the version number of RSLogix as well: the EDS subsystem moved to using an embedded SQL server along with v21 ten years ago, and if you have older RSLinx that can be a problem.

Thank you for the info. I was pulled onto a different project and got back to this today. Turns out my communication issue was my own fault. I had Studio 5000 attempting to upload from factorylinx, switch it to rslinx and had no issue...

What Compactlogix is it? I've upgraded a lot of PLCs to V33 recently, no issues. I would even recommend V34, cause modern software development is devops based and issues are resolved across multiple major versions.
You should not have issues with Rockwell equipment, usually they are backwards compatible like that, or the conversion process throws errors too. Compatibility can also be checked on PCDC website from rockwell. You will have to take the risk or work more on the non-rockwell products, if any.
I would go with the most recent Firmware level possible. This is a little bold in the controls industry, but I would recommend it to get less software proliferation and latest features.

The controller is a compactlogix 5370, 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B. I also have 3 expansion modules on it, 1769-IQ16/A and 1769-OB16/B and 1769-IT6/A. This machine also have a Powerflex 755-EENET, and a Panelview Plus. If I do update the firmware would I have to do anything to the other connected devices?

for long term, I'd upgrade from 21 to 24,28 or latest, may be even downgraded to 20

Last edited: