How to Implement Modbus TCP Protocol Using VBA with Excel

Thanks Garry, I Have tried reinstalling as well as trying to register the dll / osx components and the regsvr32 gives me errors when trying. i also tried soem reboots and repairing office install.

I Will give nodeRed a try, i was honestly planning some python scripting to accomplish this until i came across your VBA post and figured it may be simple to implement but it has proven not to on this computer (Not your fault)/

I Was also just taking a look while i was commissioning IO, as they were very slow but it Isnt an urgent matter. Startup is tomorrow, gotta do some networking yet so ill probably do that next then try nodeRed. Just figured it would be nice to Have the Runsheet auto-populate the values that we have Transmitters for (little one off site) Thanks again for the response.

wsTCP_OnDataArrival: how is it triggered

Hi,
I am trying to learn about Modbus TCP. The example is very helpful, thanks Garry!
One question: The Private sub wsTCP_OnDataArrival, where and how does it get triggered? I haven't found it yet, must be looking in the wrong place!?
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Garry, I see. (You can tell, that is all very new to me).

It's strange though, when I have the Dim WithEvents in Excel, all is well, in MS Access it's not valid. Does that mean it cannot run in MS Access VBA?

Hi Gary,

I am trying to run the same PLC code and the same VBA that you posted. I am getting this error. I have downloaded OSWinsock, and also added it as a Reference in the VB editor.

Error -2147221164: Class not registered

I would try to install the Ostosoft Winsock component again.
http://ostrosoft.com/oswinsck.aspx
If this does not work, you may have to register the component. This is a 32-bit component.
http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/How...gister_dll.htm
I hope this helps you out.

Keep in mind that this post was written several years ago. I will only use this method if you want to view data occasionally. A simpler method would be to use Node-RED with Modbus and SQLite database. Excel can then read the SQL database using ODBC.
https://accautomation.ca/series/node...ling-software/

Regards,