What PLC for beginner

I'm going to throw my oar in on this one...

I have 3 options

1. Jmobile - Panel with CodeSYS from Exor https://www.exorint.com/en/product/ex710
  2. Siemens S71200 Starter Kit
  3. An ACE PLC from WWW.Velocio.net
  4. Beckhoff or WAGO cheap or free software lots of IO. Bit more complex to program

Each of the above has its own advantages, For Industrial I would go option (1) (2) or (4) for Hobby possibly (3)

I would avoid Allen Bradley especially control logic and compact Logix you'll need 2K-4K for Software before you start...and IO is expensive compared to some.

1) Jmobile, These are actually panel displays that can communicate with IO and have an integrated CODESYS PLC. A 15" display will cost about 2000GBP, but will give you a good HMI and powerful PLC.
2) Can't go wrong with the siemens starter Kit Couple 100 GBP and you get a PLC with some IO and a Small Screen + software
3) the UnderDog... A Very Cheap PLC with simple IO ideal for a very simple project that is a bit more complex than just a LOGO PLC. (Siemens) . Will support modbus so sure you can hook up a display to them. If its just a few relays and inputs, this might do the trick. 200-300 GPB will get you lots of IO and some analog inputs.

FOr hoby you could also go Raspberry PI running CODESYS.....

Last edited:
Do-More is more complex in capability and programmability. Click Plus is much simpler for a beginner and we have found them to be quite reliable. I like both products, and we have some recent experience setting up MQTT with a Click Plus using Ubidots for a cloud based HMI.

Due to some limitations in both Ubidots and the Click Plus there was a slight learning curve and a lot of experimentation to get two Clicks to talk to each other through MQTT and have Ubidots in the middle and handle all the different possible causes of a loss of connectivity. Our application was probably simpler than yours as far as PLC control but made more complex by the fact we are using a 3rd party cell modem and 3rd party cloud MQTT broker/HMI in order to get two PLCs to talk to each other where there's a small mountain in between.

I wouldn't rule out the Click Plus especially for a beginner.

How about Arduino. If I am correct there was some PLC like Arduino concept. Everything is generally open and free (regarding the SW).

From my point of view go to Siemens S7-1200. I worked as PLC programmer last 11 years, mostly with AB and Siemens, bit of Omron and some others. For me the Siemens is the best, most advanced and most reliable. AB in compare with Siemens looks like some school project for me. TIA Portal is for me the best automation tool even if hate some things in TIA.

I do not think Siemens is complicated to learn. Programming is still programming and LAD, FBD, SCL is generally same for all brands. Difference is in environment. Also with TIA Portal you can run HMI runtime on ordinary PC computer also there is fully working simulator of PLC. So even if you do not have hardware you can program fully working system with possiblity to test functions.

You can save a little money and get better reliability if you use thermocouples instead of RTDs. For this application, RTDs are overkill.

How about Arduino. If I am correct there was some PLC like Arduino concept. Everything is generally open and free (regarding the SW).

From my point of view go to Siemens S7-1200. I worked as PLC programmer last 11 years, mostly with AB and Siemens, bit of Omron and some others. For me the Siemens is the best, most advanced and most reliable. AB in compare with Siemens looks like some school project for me. TIA Portal is for me the best automation tool even if hate some things in TIA.

I do not think Siemens is complicated to learn. Programming is still programming and LAD, FBD, SCL is generally same for all brands. Difference is in environment. Also with TIA Portal you can run HMI runtime on ordinary PC computer also there is fully working simulator of PLC. So even if you do not have hardware you can program fully working system with possiblity to test functions.
Arduino is powerful but unless you are a "C++" developer very complex, although there are loads of free tutorials, also without relays and wiring your stuck at +3.3v or +5V control levels.

Small cheap PLC is more suitable

I've got what you need in 19" rack form factor, business core is Stage automation on a rental basis. Please shoot me a DM if you're interested and we can work something out.

If you're trying to decide if you want to get into controls and automation programming, then start with the most cost-effective system.

If you already know you're diving in, then get something more common.

S7-1200 is a great platform imho, plenty of power and capability in an affordable package. Siemens has a great automation forum, but most of what I've found there is related to more complicated topics instead of the basics.

I will throw PLCNext (from Pheonix) into the Mix https://www.plcnext-community.net/

So many options, and the starter Kit is not that expensive

For a Budget system, you could always go with Siemen 1200 or a Logo, or Us a Raspberry PI with the Codesys PLC on it. Or just write it in Python for the Raspberry Pi.

I'm not sure a thread that's been dead for almost 10 months qualifies as being currently 'on the topic'. :whistle:

Thanks anyway for new answers, which still interest me.

For my greenhouse, I finally chose a Unipi Patron PLC, mostly because of the embeded Node Red image. It does well the job until now for 4 electric valves, 2 roll-ups, a 2 stage propan furnace, ventilation, multiple climat sensors, moving insulation, HOA switches, MQTT, and more.

But I am still looking to automate a firewood conveyor, and maybe a chop saw.

So thanks for your ideas.