Uploading from S7-314

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm attempting to upload (and go online to troubleshoot) from an S7-314 processor. I'm attaching photos showing the PLC and the adapters I have available. Which adapter do I need and how do I set the Set PG/PC dialog? I'm assuming I have to connect to the processor's X2 DP port as it appears to be my only option.

photo_2022-11-21_15-57-33.jpg photo_2022-11-21_15-57-43.jpg photo_2022-11-21_15-57-48.jpg photo_2022-11-21_15-57-53.jpg

Hello technolog;
I found an adapter on Amazon that seems to correspond to your AMS4Motion (Made in China) 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0. Do you find that part number on the module? Note: sorry, I just saw your 3rd picture shows the part number.
https://www.amazon.ca/S7-200-programming-download-0CB20-Multipurpose/dp/B075J7R3ZQ
The AMS4Motion adapter is a PPI/MPI/DP to USB adapter, you can use it with a S7-300. The last picture shows a PPI adapter that you can use only with a S7-200 CPU.

Here is the website for this AMS4Motion adapter module, with access to a manual, software drivers and a link showing how to connect to a S7-300 through Profibus-DP.
https://www.amsamotion.store/product/6es7972-0cb20-0xa0

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
I managed to get an upload eventually - I had to remove the connector with 2 profibus cables in it from the X1 MPI port and plug directly into there. So I have an upload but can't troubleshoot effectively because the machine has a load of profibus unplugged with consequent errors. How do I connect with all the profibus connectors attached? The fact that there's a 9-pin D-sub on the profibus connector plugged into X2 DP port strongly suggests that there's a method of connecting to there. Do I need a different adapter?

You simply connect your adapter to the 9-pin plug on the connector on the DP port.

In STEP7 you have to set the PG/PC Interface S7ONLINE to DP, and match the parameters (bus speed 187.5k or 1.5M) to the DP network that you can see in the hardware config of the uploaded project. Set the DP station address of the PC to 0.

You should be able to check the hardware configuration of the uploaded project to see how port X2 is configured. Set your PG/PC interface to match but make sure your PC's node address is different. You *should* be able to make it work, but maybe not. Failing that, get a pass-through connector for the X1 port as bkottaras suggested.

If I still had access to the software, I'd take a look at your project for you, but I don't have it any more.

Thanks for the suggestions. They're all greatly appreciated.

I've looked at the HW Config but cannot find the settings for the DP, or at least not any that mention 187.5kbps or 1.5Mbps.

I've attached a screen shot of where I'm looking. Can you pinpoint where I'll find them more precisely?

20221123 screen shot.png

The DP network has bus speed 12Mbps.
The CPU has DP Station address 2 and the slaves addresses 3-4-5.

Unfortuntaly, I think the adapter (which as knock-off clone of a Siemens adapter) does not go to 12 Mbps. Even if it did, at 12 Mbps the DP network is very iffy, it doesnt like T spurs for example, which rules out attaching a programming cable via the piggy-back PG port.
Because of the above, I think it is a mistake that the connector with the PG port is on the X2/DP port. It should have been on the X1/MPI port.
You can try and swap the connector so you can connect via MPI.

Get yourself one of these.
Nothing to unplug, just connect your programming cable to the port!

So if I get one of these passthrough connectors as bkottaras suggests, I should be able to connect via the MPI port and monitor what's going on? Does anyone have a part number, please?

Alternatively, is there a different adapter I could buy that *would* allow me to connect via the passthrough port on the X2 DP port?

Oh, okay. So you're saying those two connectors together with their profibus cables can be swapped over with no loss of connectivity?

So I swapped the MPI & DP connectors over and the HMI wouldn't boot and I couldn't start the hydraulic pump motor. Swapped them back and it's back to normal. Did you mean swap the Profibus cables between each 6ES7972-0BB42-0XA0 before swapping them over, so that the Profibus cables currently associated with the DP port stay associated with the DP port? Just the passthrough D9 connector moves?