Rockwell Logix 5000 Produced/Consume UDT Path?

slick_william

Hi there,

I am doing work for a customer who has a UDT that uses parameters like this:

PLC_REG_TO_SEND.GROUP_15.1234_DINT[1].0

I believe these tags are laid out with the intention that they will be Produced and that other controllers (like mine) will Consume the tags. I believe the PLC_REG_TO_SEND would be like a Consume path? And the Group_15 is a structure/UDT which has members like 1234_DINT, and 1234_REAL, and so on. I have done a bit of Produce/Consume but not much.

However, I am used to doing MSG instructions, where I might be able to poll each GROUP_15.1234_DINT[k] individually, or something like that.

The issue I am having is that when I try to create a UDT which has a member called 1234_DINT of type DINT[10] for example, Studio 5000 does not like that it starts with a number (1234_DINT). I get the error "Error in member name: Name is invalid".

Has anyone seen a UDT like this, and can anyone explain what the PLC_REG_TO_SEND part would be for? I have seen UDT's like Pump_1.isCalled (bool) and Pump_1.speed (real) or something like that, but never a UDT with two periods or sets of parameters (PLC_REG_TO_SEND.GROUP_15 vs. GROUP_15.1234_DINT[1].0).

Any info on this is massively appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. I had seen that before and scanned through it, however on your recommendation I went through and set up a Produced tag which I will test when I am back in the office tomorrow.

I guess my one remaining question is this: How is it possible for the member of a UDT to start with a number, as our customer's UDT's do? For example,

PLC_REG_TO_SEND.GROUP_15.1234_DINT[1].0]

has the "1234_DINT" member which starts with a number. According to Studio 5000, this is a no-no, and I am wondering if the tag list we were provided is inaccurate.

I will reach out to the customer tomorrow to confirm, but would anybody know how it is possible for a member object or parameter to begin with a number?

Thanks

It shouldn't be possible for a tag name, even for a sub-element in a UDT, to begin with a number. Maybe your client found a workaround using overlays or imports or hard-to-see characters, or maybe it's an error in their correspondence with you.

Any time you're doing P/C with complex datatypes, I strongly recommend doing and export/import from the source program to eliminate the risk of typos. The datatypes and element names must match *exactly*.

I guess my one remaining question is this: How is it possible for the member of a UDT to start with a number, as our customer's UDT's do? For example,

PLC_REG_TO_SEND.GROUP_15.1234_DINT[1].0]

has the "1234_DINT" member which starts with a number. According to Studio 5000, this is a no-no, and I am wondering if the tag list we were provided is inaccurate.

I will reach out to the customer tomorrow to confirm, but would anybody know how it is possible for a member object or parameter to begin with a number?

Thanks

This is as close as I've ever been to getting a UDT member to start with a number - by preceding it with an underscore:

Capture.JPG

Maybe your client found a workaround using overlays or imports or hard-to-see characters, or maybe it's an error in their correspondence with you.

Overlays do not allow you to use a tagname with a leading number.

Any time you're doing P/C with complex datatypes, I strongly recommend doing and export/import from the source program to eliminate the risk of typos. The datatypes and element names must match *exactly*.

The tagnames do NOT have to match although it is standard practice that they do.

Also:
If you are using a UDT with the first member of type CONNECTION_STATUS then the datatypes have to match.

If you are using a UDT without CONNECTION_STATUS then the data types do NOT have to match but the overall UDT size must be the same.
In this case a DINT in the Producer could be read as two INT's in the Consumer...