Looking for a good USB to Serial (RS232) Converter

Splatt1971

Until recently, I haven't had to connect to a piece of hardware using a serial connection in quite sometime. Well, that all changed yesterday when I needed to connect to a Watlow F4T Controller. I dug around in the bottle drawer of my desk and pulled at not one, but two USB-Serial Converters that I saved for just such an occasion! My old ones worked on everything from Allen Bradley SLCs, to Schneider Drives. Unfortunately, neither appear to work in a Windows 10 environment. Searching the internet, I was not able to find any drivers for these old converters, but did find some posts in another forum stating that Microsoft changed how it manages its USB ports from Win 7 to Win 10. Thanks Microsoft! Sorry, I will cut this rant short and just ask my question:).

Can anyone recommend a USB-Serial Converter that works in a Windows 10/11 environment?

Respectfully,

Shane

I use this Keyspan model with Windows 10. Haven't yet tried with Windows 11 but they advertise that it will work.

plvlce,
Thanks! I see it is made by Eaton which is a good brand too! I see you are from Michigan, I am originally from Ann Arbor, but moved to the wild wild west of Tucson AZ 11 years ago.

Awesome! I was not aware that FTDI chips were compatible with Windows 10. That's what I love about this site, I always learn something!

Anything with an FTDI chip should do quite well. It doesn't have to be pricey or fancy, by any means. Just anything NOT prolific.